Thailand Marriage Visa

The Thailand Marriage Visa is issued “only” to an individual who is currently and legally married to a Thai citizen although this is only the primary requirement since there are other prerequisites that he needs to fulfill.

The visa, which is more formally known as One Year Extension of Stay based on Marriage, allows its holder to stay in Thailand for a year without the need to leave the country every 90 days. It is also renewable within the Kingdom each year so it means there will be no need for him to apply for a renewal abroad.

Furthermore, if the holder wants to work in Thailand, he may do so provided that he has obtained the required work permit.

Thai Marriage Visa Summary of Requirements

  • Married to a Thai Citizen Such marriage should be supported by a marriage certificate and at times, an Affirmation of Freedom to Marry too which he should obtain from his embassy.
  • Finances The applicant must have adequate finances to support his application which is as follows:
    1. A fund of at least 400,000 Baht at a Thai Bank Account deposited not less than 2 months prior to his application.
    2. A monthly income of not less than 40,000 Baht which can be supported by a certification issued by his embassy.
    3. A combination of the deposited fund and monthly income that would total at least 400,000 Baht annually.
  • Police Clearance The applicant should also have no police record.
  • Medical Certificate He must not be a carrier or should not be suffering from any of the prohibited diseases as stated by the Ministerial Regulation.
  • Birth Certificates of Children if there are any

Apart from the above requirements, the immigration may also ask for other documents that the applicant should also comply.

Thai Marriage Visa Application Process

The applicant cannot file for a Thailand Marriage Visa directly. He must first apply for and be granted with either a 90-day visa or a 1 year Nonimmigrant “O” Visa.

After being granted with the prerequisite visa, he should travel and enter Thailand to activate such visa. Once his visa has been activated, he can then proceed with his application to convert his current visa to a Thailand Marriage Visa.

Key Things to Remember

Re-entry Permit
If there is a need to exit and re-enter Thailand within the validity of his marriage visa, the holder of such visa should apply for and obtain a Re-entry Permit to avoid cancellation of his marriage visa.

90-Day Reporting
He also needs to report his current address to Thai immigration every 90 days.