Thailand Visa Extensions

The generosity of Thailand in granting a foreigner with an appropriate visa should be reciprocated accordingly by avoiding any possibility of violating any immigration laws and rules of the Kingdom, one of which is through Thailand visa extensions.

To extend an individual’s Thai visa, he must be holding a nonimmigrant visa and has to extend it within Thailand for marriage, retirement and or for business purposes. Yet, in order for visa extension to be possible, he must be eligible as such basing on the qualifications set on each extension type.

  • Marriage Visa (One Year Extension of Stay Based on Marriage)Perhaps the most important qualification is for the individual to be legally married with a Thai national and this can be supported by an authentic Marriage Certificate. Apart from this, he must be in good financial standing by demonstrating through an updated passbook and or official letter from a Thai bank reflecting his deposit of not less than 400,000 Baht deposited not less than 2 months prior to his application for extension. He may be able to prove his financial capacity by obtaining a letter from his embassy attesting his monthly income of not less than 40,000 Baht or he may also be able stress that he is financially capable through a combination of deposits with a Thai bank and annual income that would total 400,000 Baht.
  • Retirement Visa (Nonimmigrant “O-A” Retirement Visa)If the primary requirement for an application for Thailand visa extensions due to marriage is an actual and valid marriage to a Thai national, with the retirement visa, it is the age of the applicant that counts the most. Of course, the individual must still comply with other requirements as well but he can only extend his stay in Thailand through a retirement visa if he is 50 years and above otherwise, even if he has satisfied other eligibility requirements, if he has not reach the mandatory age requirement, he will not be considered qualified for a retirement visa. Financial requirements also apply when extending through a retirement visa and it is substantially higher compared to a marriage visa since the foreign retiree is not allowed to work in the Kingdom. The applicant must have at least 800,000 Baht in deposits at a Thai bank account or a monthly income/pension of 65,000 Baht (sourced from abroad) or a combination of both pension/monthly income and Thai bank deposit that would total 800,000 Baht annually.
  • Business Visa (Nonimmigrant “B” Visa)If the individual is looking forward to extend his stay in Thailand for a substantial period of time because he want to establish a business venture in the Kingdom then he has to apply for a Thailand visa extensions for business purposes. The One Year Nonimmigrant “B” Visa for business can only be applied, however, when he has obtained the necessary work permit. And like the retirement visa, when granted with a business visa, the individual must report his place of residence with the immigration office once every 90 days.

By basing on the numerous publications about Thailand visa extensions that can be found online, foreigners may think that it is an easy process. In reality, it is not especially when the individual does not know how to speak, read or communicate in Thai since the Kingdom’s government-issued documents are all written in Thai.

The process may be very complicated for the foreigner too and so it is best for him to consider enlisting the help of reputable law firms in the country for proper guidance towards a successful extension of stay in Thailand through an appropriate visa.


6 replies on “Thailand Visa Extensions”

i am coming to Thailand for one month visit visa,might be i need extension for three month.
please to know whats the procedure inside the country.and wts the charges for extant ion.

If you wish to apply for an extension of stay in Thailand, then you need to have a visa. You may apply for a tourist visa, although this will only give you a total of 3 months stay which already includes the 1 month extension. If you want to stay for a longer period in Thailand, we advise that you contact the Thai Embassy or Consulate in your country to know more about your options.

I am Danish citizen with a Philippine wife. We like to take a retirement stay in Thailand. I am 76 old and still going strong. My wife is 40 years old. I love Thailand, the Thai people and the food. We have together a fortune of 30 million Php and a monthly income of 35,000 THB. So we can support ourselves. Will it be possible for us to get a pensionist stay visa to Thailand? We also have a child 9 months old. Our intension is to buy a villa in the countryside.

Your option is to apply for the Thai retirement visa since you meet the age and the financial requirements. Your wife as well as your child may apply as your dependent once you have obtained your retirement visa.

If you wish to know more about the visa options for your family, you may send an email to [email protected] and a Thai Visa Specialist will get back to you immediately.

Hi, my family and I are staying in Thailand for 4.5 years which we are under work permit visa before. However, my working contract with company are terminated ard 6 months ago. Since my working visa wl be expired by early Jul 2016, may I know which reason I’m able to obtain 1 or 2 years extension in Thailand? Bec of my son will ready to apply Educatiin visa (EDV) for coming study in Thai after Jul and my wife is one of Guidance to apply visa in order to take care him. So I want know how and what reason I can extend my station to take care family here? Believe I may able to apply as over 4 years station in Thai and need to take care family as well? Furthermore, I have over THB 3.5 millions saving in Thailand Bank and maybe I’m able to apply investment visa but not quite sure if $ saving in fixed account of Thai banking are workable or not? Lastly, I’m having my income tax documents which I paid for Thailnd inland revenue from last 4 years . Does it work?
Thank you and appreciate your response in advance.

We would recommend that you contact the Thai embassy from your home country or a neighboring country to discuss the best visa option for you. If your son will be studying in Thailand, you can inquire about applying for a Non Immigrant O visa.

If you want to apply for an investment visa, they can also discuss what is required before you can apply for this type of visa and if it is applicable to your case.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *